This month, I started a clean eating workout challenge and have been sticking to it. But lately.. I’ve been having some Swenson’s fried mushroom cravings not gonna lie! If you have never had Swensons, you are missing out.
I was trying to find some healthy alternatives but couldn’t find exactly what I was looking for. I wanted a healthier alternative to using flour and breadcrumbs for the breading. We had a bunch of ingredients leftover after we tried the keto diet for a little while, and I had used some of them to make the breading for baked cauliflower wings (really good, highly recommend). I thought I would try using the breading recipe on mushrooms and bake them to mimic Swenson’s version. It turned out really good, and I thought I should share. And… it’s keto 🙂
- Mushrooms (any kind works- I used regular white mushrooms)
- Almond flour (I had some keto pancake mix leftover that is mostly almond flour, so I just used that)
- Flaxseed meal
- 2 eggs
- 1 tbsp butter (optional)
- Powdered garlic
- Powdered onion
- Italian seasoning
- Preheat oven to 400℉
- Wash the mushrooms and cut off the stems
- Crack 2 eggs in a bowl and mix. Melt the butter and add (optional).
- Fill 2 shallow dishes with the almond flour and the flaxseed meal (separate). Add the salt, garlic, onion, and italian seasoning to the flaxseed meal and mix.
- Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil and spray with nonstick spray.
- Coat the mushrooms in the flour, then egg mixture, then flaxseed meal and line on the baking sheet.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes flipping halfway through.